Sunday, 4 May 2014

Snap it

Recently I've just been feeling the urge to take my camera everywhere with me. Sometimes I don't use it at all and it stays in my bag, other times I have it hanging round my neck with my eye glued to the viewfinder. I don't know, some days I just feel in the mood and others I don't. 

I went through a phase a while ago where I was obsessed with looking at other photographers' work and spent hours on the internet (Hedi Slimane I love you!) looking for new photographers to obsess over. I kind of stopped as I started applying for uni and stuff (more on that situation another time) as I was just so busy but I've really got back into it the last couple of weeks. I've always been a fan of black and white. I feel like it just strips a photograph down to the bare necessities and it really lets you focus on the subject. Someone I came across and instantly fell in love with was Lee Jeffries who photographs homeless people in London and his photography really is absolutely compelling. If you take anything at all away from this post, please let it be a love for Lee Jeffries that is as strong as mine!

Anyway, I've also been looking at a lot of street photography and it got me thinking. The concept of it is so interesting. I decided I would really have to give it a go which I guess is where the need to carry my camera everywhere has emerged from. I love photographing people, I just feel like humans are so interesting and we totally take them for granted. Like, seriously, I think humans are an art-form, especially when it comes to photography. I really still find this street malarkey quite a daunting thing, however - I think it takes a lot of courage to photograph complete strangers so, unlike my new best friend Mr Jeffries, I've tended to keep my distance from people, at least for now. 

In fact, I quite often just get my camera out and photograph my friends when they're not looking. I think that's the best way to create something beautiful - when someone doesn't know they're being recorded so they act completely naturally. I think more and more I'm realising that that's something I really like doing; photographing people when they're not paying attention. That as well as just completely messing about and catching people being silly and happy.

So this is what I've been up to. I think my favourite shot is this one in Starbucks of one of my bestfriends, Detta, who you'll see features a lot in my photography:

What do you think? Do you have any suggestions for my next photographer crush?

7 comments:

  1. I absolutely loved this post! The first picture is my favourite, its so natural and beautiful. Your friend is very pretty! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the photographs that you showed us, the first is also my favourite! Do tell us about your experience of applying to university as like you, I have applied this year so would like to see what other people are interested in studying 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures c: I'm a huge fan of greyscale pictures!
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning pics! Think my fave is the third one, natural and real :)

    Also, I just wanted to let you know I've nominated you for The Inspiring Blogger Award on my blog :) I love reading your posts and thought you deserved it! x

    Katy | Little Miss Katy

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're an awesome photographer! I especially love the fourth last photo, it's really beautiful :)

    Every Day In Grace

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment on my recent post, I found it really inspiring actually. I've had a lovely half hour or so scrolling through your blog. These photos are amazing, you make such a wonderful photographer. I could flick through your photos for forever, please keep posting them!

    Rachael @ aisforayla.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you, that's so lovely! I will haha and you, keep blogging!

      Delete

Leave a comment, I read and appreciate every single one. I promise I'll have a look at your blog.