Tuesday, 25 September 2012

DIY - Lace Accent Shorts


I found a little strip of crotchet-lace type stuff in my cupboard the other day and I thought it was really pretty so I thought I'd have a go at sewing it onto a pair of shorts. I liked them so much that I decided to share it with you!

What you'll need:
>An pair of shorts or cut off jeans
>A strip of lace or crotchet type stuff 
>A needle and thread (and VERY minimal sewing ability. Even if you've never sewn in your life, you'll be able to do this!)

Step 1:
 Measure and cut off a strip of lace at least long enough to go along the edge of the pocket.

Step 2:
Sew along the edge nearest the hem of the pocket. Now I have possibly the worst sewing machine skills EVER and so I'm always on the look out for DIYs that either don't require sewing at all or only require very minimal, manual sewing. If you're the same as me, you'll be glad to hear that as long as your thread matches the colour of your lace your stitches don't have to be neat at all! Make sure you only sew through the pocket, rather into the leg of the shorts (been there, done that!)
Then, when you're done, repeat on the other side. Cut of any excess material from the ends.

Step 3:
Measure a nice long strip of lace that will go all the way around the bottom hem of one of the leg holes. It's worth cutting it a bit longer because you don't want to sew it all on and then realise you've not got enough.

Again, sew this down around the top edge of the lace. I'd suggest starting at the front inside seam on each leg because, as I found, going from the back of the inside seam to the front is really fiddly work whereas back to front seems easier. Don't ask me why.
Do the same with the other leg.

Step 4:
Cut another two short pieces of lace and so them onto the back pockets!

And that's you done. Pretty easy and wonderfully girly, huh?!

x

10 comments:

  1. love the outcome of the short! :) so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a good idea! (: xx

    http://mollybenton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are beautiful, will be trying this!
    Maybe you could check out my blog or even follow me? I've followed you x
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. awwww they're so beautiful! I need to do that!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post^^I love your blog :)

    mfashionfreak♥blog
    followme♥freak

    I'd love to follow you, if you do the same for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these. Really like your blog, would love you to check out mine too! Now following. Naomi xx

    www.oneheelforward.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post! I love it! ^^ You have a nice blog, mind to follow each other? :)

    BLOG | TWITTER | TUMBLR | SHOP

    ReplyDelete
  8. very nice! :)

    http://allbrightness.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I read and appreciate every single one. I promise I'll have a look at your blog.