Friday, 3 February 2012

In which I design a stupid hat.

I meant to blog yesterday but I guess I just under-estimated the amount of homework I had. That's been happening a lot recently actually. I look forward to getting home all day and then when I get home I start my homework, intending to write a post later but I don't get round to it.

Anyway, yesterday I was working on my Standard Grade design unit as the deadline was today. I had to design a hat based on "an influential person". Naturally, I picked Alice in Wonderland. Not influential in the slightest, I know. The theme doesn't really matter too much though so you could pick basically any theme you wanted. I just thought everything about Alice in Wonderland was wonderfully wierd and bizarre and perfect for basing a hat on. I've been working on it since about August last year, which seems an extraordinarily long time but that's just the way of things.

I just finished my final piece today and although the deadline was today, I still have a couple of things to stick on my sheet that I haven't been able to get yet so my teacher said it would be fine if I just finished it off on Monday.

My hat is utterly crazy. It's so colourful and random. I'm actually exremely proud of it. I had to go out into the corridor during art today to have a picture of myself wearing it taken and as I was standing there in a paper mache, skin tight helmet with a green and red spiral painted on it, a girl from another class walked past and gave me the strangest look. I don't care though!

Looks pretty hectic doesn't it? Let me just explain; the purple cones are supposed to represent the sections of the catarpillar, the black and white strips are the black and white floor, the pink bits on the right represent the cheshire cat when he slowly appears in strips, the orange cones made of wool were inspired by the mad hatter's hair in the real movie (played by Johnny Depp) and the wire love hearts, of course, were inspired by the Queen of Hearts and her card people.

I moulded the hat/helmet thingy mabobber on a polestyrene head so I was quite surprised to find that it fitted my head exactly when I prised it off. It's surprisingly comfy actually. I considered wearing to my next class. I would have liked to see the look on Mr Hendrie's face.

What do you think?

x

7 comments:

  1. Woah, that's so amazing!

    You've got such talent and imagination. You should definitely go out wearing that, everyone would love it! ;)

    Love, Elizabeth xx

    http://butterflyboo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy
    I agree with Elizabeth...you have talent and a awesome imagination.
    Love your hat.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Love, Joan and Joann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahahaha! No, can you imagine the looks? :)x

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha very philip treacy :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I'm definitely avoiding work right now. Your hat is so cool! It must have taken ages
    http://itscohen.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the hat so much! Really nice!x

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, I read and appreciate every single one. I promise I'll have a look at your blog.